At ESBCHS, we regularly remind students of the correlation between attendance and achievement, and since students are expected to attend school punctually and regularly in accordance with the School Act, we monitor their attendance closely and strive to keep them on track. Parents can expect regular communications from the school alerting them to their child’s absences, but once a student’s absences approach more than 5 in a class, our administrators and/or counselors become involved at various points to work with families to address the root causes of the attendance concerns. Please keep in mind that students can be withdrawn from a course if they miss in excess of 20 classes in a semester, however our ultimate goal is to avoid that and to work as a team with families to keep absences to a minimum.
Extended Leave / Vacation
As an educational institution, we are aware that extended holidays and extra-curricular related travel commitments occur during the regular school year. However, missing numerous consecutive classes during the school term can result in a student falling behind in their course work.
Please note that it is not always possible to recreate certain classroom activities such as demonstrations, lectures, class discussions, group work and pop quizzes for example, and as such it is not possible for teachers to create pre-packaged school work for students who are on extended leave.
Please refer to the following expectations that will assist you with developing a plan of success while on leave:
- Students are responsible for informing their teachers they will be away for an extended period of time.
- The Extended Leave Form must be completed at least seven days prior to departure by the student. In consultation with each of their classroom teachers, students must identify the key concepts they are likely to miss while away.
- Students may access assignments and/or handouts through their teacher’s website or Moodle, where applicable, or through a home work buddy that should be identified by the student prior to departure.
- Students are responsible for making up missed assignments on their own time while on leave, or after returning, unless otherwise exempt by the subject area teacher.
- The Extended Leave Form must be signed by the student’s parent or guardian, and then submitted to their school administrator.
You may download the form from the link below, complete it and return it to the school at least 7 days prior to the student’s last day.