Grade 12 FAQ
Grade 12 Course Selection Information
This information is intended for Grade 11 ESBCHS students enrolling in Grade 12 for 2020-2021
ESBCHS students who will be going into Grade 12 will receive an email after Spring Break with links to course planners (along with a sample) and a link to a how-to-register video. Student timetables will be available on PowerSchool in late August.
What is the minimum number of credits that I have to take in Grade 12?
- Grade 12 students must register in a minimum of 30 credits. If you are not on track to have earned 75 credits in total for your Grade 10 & Grade 11 years, you should request 40 credits for grade 12.
What is happening with Summer School this year?
- Due to the current situation, it is not known at this time if summer school will be running this year.
- If you were planning to take a course in summer school, we strongly suggest that you select it on your course planner and online. It will be easier to drop a course that was completed in summer than it would be to pick up a course in September.
- If Summer School is not cancelled and you register in and complete a course, you would need to send an email to email@example.com to request a timetable change.
What is the difference between 3, 5 and 10 credit courses?
- 3 credit classes are every second day for one semester
- 5 credit classes are every day for one semester
- 10 credit classes run for 2 consecutive blocks every day for one semester
- Please Note: there are two new 3-credit courses being offered this year to all grade levels: Textile Arts 10 and Yoga 15. Refer to the Handbook for course descriptions.
How can I be sure I am meeting all requirements for a High School Diploma?
- High School diploma requirements and Certificate of Achievement requirements are explained in detail in our Student Handbook on our website at https://esbchs.blackgold.ca/registration/handbook/
- Grade 12 students must register in 10 credits at the 30-level credits other than English and Social. This can include math or science courses, CTS, fine arts, languages, physical education and any other 30-level courses.
- If you did not complete CALM and/or Phys Ed 10 in Grade 10 or 11 and are not currently registered for those courses, or if you are failing either of those courses, you must select them for Grade 12. These are required courses for graduation.
Are the Diploma requirements the same as post-secondary requirements?
- Not necessarily. Post-Secondary requirements for entrance into specific programs may have different criteria than course required for High School graduation. Students are encouraged to research programs to find out the specific course requirements for post-secondary entrance into their program of choice.
What do I need to know about course prerequisites?
- You can only select a course for which you have the recommended prerequisite mark. All core courses and most CTS (career and technology studies) courses, fine arts, languages, physical education and other option courses do have prerequisite courses and marks. Prerequisite courses and marks are shown on the course planners and more detail can be found in the Student Handbook.
- Only register in courses for which you have the recommended prerequisite mark.
- If your mark changes between now and the end of June (up or down from prerequisite), email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so you can be registered in the appropriate course. Do not wait until September as many classes fill up.
What if I am currently failing a core course or failed a core course in Semester 1?
- You can only select a course for which you have the recommended prerequisite mark. If you are failing a course, refer to the Student Handbook for the appropriate course sequencing.
- If you require assistance with choosing the appropriate course sequencing, please email email@example.com and your administrator or counsellor will respond.
What if my marks change (up or down) and I need or want to choose a different stream?
- For example, you had 52% in Biology 20 when you registered online and therefore could not choose Biology 30 as the prerequisite mark is 60% but by June your mark has improved to 61%, you now qualify to select Biology 30.
- At the end of June once your marks are finalized, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, the course you want and your new mark and Student Services will make any necessary change to your course requests. Do not wait until fall to request a change, as many courses will fill up.
Can I take a 20-level & 30-level course in the same course sequence?
- If you choose to request both a 20-level and 30-level of a particular subject, when your timetable is available for viewing in PowerSchool in August/September you must verify that the 20-level course is in your semester 1 timetable and any 30-level courses in the same sequence are in semester 2. For example, if you choose to retake Math 20-1 and also request Math 30-1, you must verify that Math 20-1 is in semester 1 and Math 30-2 is in semester 2.
How do I choose Musical Theatre or Technical Theatre this year?
- If you intend to audition for Musical Theatre or wish to apply for Technical Theatre (set design), you will select the applicable course on your course planner and also enter it on the course selection portal on PowerSchool under Fine Arts. There are no credits associated with either course, as you are not guaranteed acceptance until after the auditions or interviews. You will receive more information from the teacher about the audition/interview process later this spring.
- Please note that if you are not successful during the audition process but still want to take a Drama course, please email email@example.com before the end of June.